As one of the oldest, continuously operating theaters in Texas, the famous Select Theater, 114 N. Johnson St., is a true Texas (and Mineola) treasure. Mr. and Mrs. R. T. Hooks opened the Theater as a movie house in 1920, and the building retains much of its historical style and ambiance today. In 1978, a group of actors determined to bring live theater to the Lake Country area formed the Lake Country Playhouse. They purchased the Theater in 1993, ensuring that Mineola would continue to have a movie theater and a venue for live theatrical and musical productions. The Playhouse produces four live plays each year---one in each season---and shows first -run movies each weekend. Patrons especially love the summer musicals and popular Christmas shows. The Theater is also home to the Lake Country Symphonic Band (formally the Wood County Orchestra), which presents four scheduled performances during the year.
Lake Country Playhouse is a non-profit organization under section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code. All donations to Lake Country Playhouse are deductible.
The mission of Lake Country Playhouse is to promote the Arts in East Texas, and to provide a home for Performing Arts at its facility, the Historic Select Theater. Additionally, Lake Country Playhouse will maintain and operate the Select Theater as a historical treasure by continuing to show motion pictures in the longest continuous-operating movie theater in Texas.